Sunday, November 20, 2011

Some more happenings this week: Oct 31, 2011

Before I commence this email, it has been made known to me that I'm not supposed to use real names of people. So I'm changing people's names. Please remember though that these are realpeople, with real problems, whom of which God is really helping out through me. 

The doctor for example (I'll call him Brent) and his wife (Josephine). So Brent totally knows that this church is true. He has gained a testimony and everything. His wife, however, hasn't received that. This week we decided to watch "Finding Faith in Christ" with the two of them. Tears were flowing (on their end - that never happens to cameroonians) and I bore testimony of Jesus Christ. After the nice lesson we ate dinner and left. We were walking down to the street when Brent called us and said "Dieu est magnifique." His wife spontaneously walked out of the kitchen after we left and said "Je dois me faire baptisé." We are so excited for them to be baptized. They are a wonderful family, and so Elder Tingey and I jumped and cheered after hearing that.

Another investigator we have is named Joshua. Joshua is a teacher for other congregations. Basically people call him up and say "Hey, I'll pay you X number of Francs to go and teach this congregation today." When we first taught him, he was really debative with everything we taught. But he decided to try reading the Book of Mormon, and studied it carefully (he really knows his stuff in the Bible. He wanted to prove us wrong). He told us about how while he was reading one night though, he heard this voice that said "Toutes les choses ils ont dit sont vraies. Ne doubte pas." And so, he knows without question that this message is true! 

I remember meeting him my first day. He had a darkened countenance. He was kind of grouchy and was frustrated with the fact that our message and church different than his. But he kept going to church and kept reading the Book of Mormon. Now when we see him he is very peaceful and happy all the time. Every time we see him, he is smiling. His countenance shines now. He is just on the cusp of baptism. I hope and pray that he makes that last change to join this church, because he knows it's true.

So Cameroonian french is dirty french. I had some people ask me about it a little while ago, and it's really funny. To say "It's been forever" you say "Ca fait depuis!" (literally translated "It's been since!"). Or instead of saying "Comment ca va?" they will say "Oh, Elder LaFleur! C'est comment?" (literally "It's how?") It's really funny to hear anglophones speak too - they speak literally translated french. They say these phrases in english: "Elder! How?" I actually really like the cameroonian french. It's a fun difference than the french I have been taught my whole life.

Anyways, I hope all your lives are good. Excelsior!

- Elder LaFleur

1 comment:

  1. So, as some of you regular followers may know, I got a little behind in the notes from Andre. Here is one we got on Halloween. I've got one more lined up (with pictures from his first baptism!) but I'll wait for a few days before I post that one. Then there will be a new one sent tomorrow. I'll post that last one by Friday. I hope everyone has been enjoying Andre's wonderful experiences as we have. We are so please with his willingness to serve the Lord in this way and know that he is so very happy to serve in this way!

    ReplyDelete